Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Shopping Goals: September 2017

Well when it came to shopping goals last month, I did pretty well, actually.  I managed to pick up vegetable oil at Three Bears (our local bulk store that doesn't require a yearly membership fee...but prices are higher than say Sam's Club or Costco...just kind of a give and take type of thing) and got two huge jugs of it for about 10.00.  That will hopefully last me a while, although I'd like to pick up a couple more this month or next just to make sure I have enough oil to last for quite a bit.  I still need to get toothpaste, though.

I've been worried watching and reading about what has been going on across the country when it comes to our food supply in the US right now.  The cost of pretty much everything shows signs of going up, in some cases (such as wheat) by a pretty big margin, so one of my goals in the next couple of months is to try, somehow, to squeeze more money out of the paycheck to get stocked up on foods, like pasta, for the next year to ride out the prices increases and things.  Some things, like meat, I just don't have enough money, or freezer space, to have much control over, but things like flour and pasta I can stock up on to hopefully see us through the next year and for not too much money (still going to be tough to find said money, but I'll figure it out).  So, those are on my list of things to get the next few months.

I've also been worried about things happening on a local level.  Our governor is calling a special session at the end of October to try and force the legislature to pass taxes, including an increase in our gas tax (which we already pay some of the highest prices in the country for gas) and an income tax, among others, so stocking up on things BEFORE the end of October when that special session happens is kind of necessary for me to make sure we don't get nailed with additional taxes after that date.  Moving is becoming more and more of a need at this point the way things are looking, which means somehow I need to be as smart of a steward with our funds as possible if we're EVER going to be able to find the funds to get out of the state. 

So, yeah, anxiety levels for me are high right now.   I just take deep breaths and tell myself that God will show a way if it is meant to be, so just keep your eyes and ears open and breathe woman, breathe!

Anyway, here's my tentative list for this month.  Some of this list is inevitably going to bleed over into next month and will probably be paid for with the small amount of dividends we'll have left after paying off a chunk of my husband's dental bills, but I'm hoping to pick up as much as I can just through normal pay periods so I can save as much of the small chunk of dividends we'll have left next month to put into savings just in case we need to do something like fix a car.

So, onto the list!

Carrs/Safeway
  • Potatoes (hoping to stock up and get about 40 lbs in the next couple of months to last us for quite a while)
  • Carrots (to supplement the carrots I got from the garden for this winter.  These will be bought to just blanch and freeze for later use)
  • Pasta (this is a maybe.  I'm going to comp shop a good price I got on pasta through Amazon and see which one will be cheaper, probably tomorrow)

Fred Meyer
  • Apples (Gala apples are on sale cheaper than anywhere I've seen so far this year, so I would like to buy 10 lbs to can some more applesauce)
  • Sugar (25 lb bags of sugar used to be cheaper here than at Three Bears so I plan to comp shop that again as canning is going to use up a lot of sugar in the next month or so) 
  • Lettuce (since my lettuce is done for now.  I have a few seedlings that survived the moose and am watching them but they're still a ways off of harvesting)

Three Bears
  • All Purpose Flour (50 lbs)
  • Bread Flour (25 lbs)
  • Freezer Bags (I found they have a brand for 1.00 and some change for 15 bags and mine are wearing out from rewashing them so much, so I need to replenish a bit)
  • Shelf stable milk (this is an "if" item as I got a good price on some on Amazon, so I want to see if Three Bears is cheaper.  I keep this around in case we can't get to the store as my son will NOT drink powdered milk)

Amazon.com
  • Tortellini (I got a really great deal earlier in the month that I put on Subscribe and Save for 12 boxes for 15.00.  This beats store prices by a LOT!)
  • Angel Hair Pasta (this is a maybe depending what Carrs/Safeway has for sales.  We eat angel hair pasta regularly as it's my son's favorite shape, so I stock up for the year on angel hair when I can)
  • Curel Itch Defense Moisturizing Lotion (while it doesn't do as well as Puriya lotion for Alvah, it's 3.00 per tube versus 30.00 for a small tub, so I've been supplementing to make the expensive stuff last longer)
  • Toothpaste (I ordered two tubes for  2.00 and some change, which is cheaper than the stores.  I'm still waiting for a good sale on toothpaste before I buy at this point)
  • Puriya Mother of All Creams (moisturizing cream for Alvah.  Expensive, but getting REALLY low so I am trying to budget out for that too).
You Pick Farm:
  • Turnips (depending on price and when they become available.  I'd like to get ten pounds to see us through the winter months)

Feed Store:
  • Chicken Feed (I'm nearly out and I have no idea when my sister-in-law will be able to pick up chickens, so they need to eat)
  • Straw (the last broody hen has made the nesting boxes REALLLLYYYY gross and I just can't stand it anymore.  If my sister-in-law picks up the chickens soon I'll use the rest of the bale of straw to make a scare crow for the front yard for a fall decoration or something.  But I need to clean the nesting boxes.  I just need to!).
And there's my tentative list of things to get in the next little bit.  How about you?  Need to buy anything this month?

Post a Comment

0 Comments