Other aircraft on display at the Yankee Air Museum are this nifty Spad S.XIII. It's a hand-built replica, but still pretty sharp.
And they've got a Republic F-84F "Thunderstreak" inside, too. This is one of two that they have.
This one is decked out on the colors of the Thurderbirds, the Air Force's exhibition team. The Thunderbirds actually started out flying the straightwinged version of this aircraft their first two years (1q953-1954) and transitioned to this model in 1955 when they were commanded by Jacksel Broughton, who had a very interesting Air Force career. (Get his books, Thud Ridge and Rupert Red Two.)
Here's a nice halftrack inside.
Brings back memories. In the late 80's, while still a teen living at home, I acquired title to one in much worse shape. Oh, the plans and dreams I had for that thing. But my father for some reason would not let me put it in our suburban back yard until I could make it run so I had to sell it where it was. Sigh. I think I got $300 for it.
Here's the other Thunderstreak outside, an RF-84K photo-reconnaissance variant known as the "Thunderflash". This one here was the last one to fly with the Michigan Air National Guard from nearly Selfridge ANGB.
Also outside is this Russian AN-2R Antonov biplane, a rugged utility aircraft produced in the Soviet Union from 1946 until 2001 and still in use around the world. It's known for being sturdy and dependable and able to carry heavy loads in and out of very small, rough strips.
Hopefully they get her moved indoors and cleaned up when their new museum building is finished.
If you're ever near Ypsilanti, Michigan, stop over and see this place. Just look for the B-52 out front.














0 Comments