There are all sorts of plants around the border of the back garden, mainly one of each of the larger things, there's also lots of empty spaces which will let weeds in unless I fill them with something. In places there are things that spread like weeds that I'd like to take out - the "foreign" bluebells. And worst of all there is some ground-elder creeping in - horrible stuff.
It's rained at sometime almost everyday since I moved in with no chance of getting out there to do some much needed weeding.
Here's a photo tour
Stepping out of the patio doors from the living room and first on the left is a purple Acer - love this.(Edited in to say this is actually an Elder)
There's a young Silver Birch with a climbing rose behind it and some Helebores in front.
In the corner are 3 small trees squashed in. A Hornbeam (or a Beech) not sure yet. Then something I thought at first was a young Apple but the flowers are not quite right so it might be a Pear but whatever it is it won't do well squeezed in between. Right in the corner is a small Flowering Cherry.
Also in the corner a Spirea and a Camellia and more Helebores and another Hebe and a Rose
A Large Ceanothus is just starting to come into flower
The biggest thing in the garden is a Flowering Cherry, which must be the only thing more than 7 years old, that's how long the previous owners had been here.
To the right of the tree are two things I'm not sure of - the yellow thing isn't a Laburnham and the other is possibly a Weigela.
A Lavatera at the back and a Poppy and Foxglove with some other perennials and the blinkin' ground elder creeping in!
This is a different sort of Magnolia. The removal man plonked my old bird bath here (we found it half buried at the smallholding in 1992), it's all on the huh! but too heavy for me to move. Just noticed another Acer at the back there
The bigger Magnolia is just finishing
All sorts of different perennials and the foreign bluebells spreading too much
A Peony and a few Aquilegia
A large spring flowering Viburnham
Another Buddleia and climbing rose on the trellises around the shed
Honeysuckle and Jasmine
Below is another Buddleia. I've popped 2 courgette plants in here in the hope they will grow.
What's this below? Purple flowers with yellow middles like a potato flower - making it look poisonous -it probably isn't. It's not something I've had before another thing that was caught by late frosts.
The rhubarb that was here hasn't got much room to spread
To the other side of the patio the trellises have more climbing roses.
The things I brought with me including 2 tubs of strawberries, Monkey Puzzle, Yew tree ,my Bay tree and very young Fig with the tomato and pepper plants under the cloche thing.
Well done if you got to the end of that tour!

0 Comments