Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Amsterdam - The City of Winding Canals, Crooked Houses and Rich History

I am the second person from the right

Hallo allemaal!

My name is Carolyn and I'm an exchange student from Canada. As an art and history lover, a trip to Amsterdam was a very exciting prospect. I love seeing new cities with a rich and varied history that cannot always be found back home in Canada. Upon arriving, I was stunned by seeing the beautiful harbor full of so many boats of all sizes. I found it so awe-inspiring walking through the city and loved the way the buildings seemed to be towering, crooked and looming over the canals, winding into what felt at times like a maze. We later learned that the buildings didn’t only seem crooked, they were built that way sometimes to allow for the hauling of goods from boats.  

We were also able to see the city by night; taking a walking tour and learning about the city's history since its creation, how it has grown, and its celebrations and trials. Some of these events included the secret history of Amsterdam during reformations, several rulers, and learning about several different festivals and markets. After the tour, the group explored the city and tasted a few different specialties, my favorites being some lovely cheese and delicious handmade chocolates. I was slightly shocked by how many "American Style" restaurants and stores there were, as well as how many people I heard speaking English. It seemed to me that there was more British and Americans in Amsterdam than Dutch people.  

Early the next morning a few other group members and I had tickets to the Anne Frank house. I can honestly say that it was one of the most unsettling and sobering experiences I have ever experienced. It is one thing to read about a person's experience but something very different to see a small glimpse of what some people in the not so distant past were forced to live through because of hate. Seeing how the people that lived in the secret annex had to live in order to survive and read about the conditions people were forced into. Even now it is so hard to accurately describe how it felt to see and learn about their fates in the rooms they were forced to hide in. Truly an unforgettable and important site to see, something everyone should experience so the horrible past cannot be forgotten.

After visiting the Anne Frank house, I visited some of the other unique and exciting museums that Amsterdam is so famous for.  I only wish I had time to see more of them.  A very interesting museum I visited was the "Torture Museum", it was so interesting for me to see many historical contraptions, some only existing in myth.  As my passion is history, I found this museum fascinating, if a little morbid. It was especially interesting for me as these kinds of museums and historical artifacts are more difficult to come by in Canada, so I made every effort to go to all the museums I could find.  Along with the museums, I visited a vintage book market which had books covering so many topics and in so many languages I wish I could have taken them all home and read all of them.

In summation, Amsterdam is a stunning city full of history (both good and tragic) and is perfect for those who are willing to explore the winding streets and canals to find little markets and museums. The city is also wonderful for those who wish to see the most important parts of Amsterdam's history and even experience parts of local culture and the larger and more famous museums and eat delicious treats. 

- Carolyn

Post a Comment

0 Comments