Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

"Mass Appeal"


"But I'm so real to them it's scary And with my unique skills na you can't compare me And no we don't make wack tracks and all the suckers get pushed back when I'm kickin real facts I represent set up shit like a tent boy You're paranoid cause you're my son like Elroy And you'd be happy as hell to get a record deal Maybe your soul you'd sell to have mass appeal" ~Guru~

Sorry, I had to start this post with some Gang Starr lyrics. It's a sad day for hip hop indeed. Merging Jazz and Hip Hop? Yeah that worked. R.I.P. Guru.

I am going to use Guru's lyrics and the title of that classic Hip Hop track to focus on what I want to talk about: Mass appeal, and what some folks will do to get it. Some of you bloggers out here are trying hard to get it. You know who you are. And, some of you, already have it. But at what cost? Some of you can't wait to get on television and radio (you know who you are), and when you do, you can't wait to let the rest of us know about it. That's great if you blow up, but what are you going to do with your new found high profile? Just sell more ad space on your blogs for more money?

Hey, I am not mad at bloggers who use their blogs to get paid. Times are hard out here, so go get your hustle on. But don't just post shit with the bottom line on your mind. And please don't tell others how to run their blogs. I don't sell ad space because, frankly, I don't need the money. But that's just me. Don't send me a-mails asking about ads on my blog, telling me how I could be getting paid, or asking me to change the blog name so that it will sound more "main stream".
Producers from major cable network and radio program to the field:

"Mr. Field we would love to have you on, but frankly, the name of your blog might be offensive to some of our viewers."
"Mr. Field do you mind if the host just introduces you as attorney----- and not by your blog name? "

Other bloggers talking about the field:

"Field tolerates too much cursing and disrespect on his blog."
"The comments on his blog have really gone down."
"The intellectuals don't go there anymore."
"Field is too offensive with his posts."
"Field's blog is popular but there is just too much drama over there."

Yes, but field is saying exactly what he feels. And, for the most part, so are the people who comment in his blog. So as the kids like to say: "Do you".

Finally,- as if losing Guru wasn't enough- America lost a great civil rights champion and educator today. Dorothy Height was 98 years old, (now there was a lady with "Mass Appeal") and still she died too soon as far as I am concerned. She was a great American and a true field Negro.

The next time I see one of my black conservative friends I will have to ask them why I got a press release from Chris Van Hollen and the DCCC, but nothing from the RNC or any other republican group.

"DCCC Chairman Chris Van Hollen released the following statement on the passing of Civil Rights Leader and former President of the National Council of Negro Women, Dorothy Height.

“For nearly half a century, Dorothy Height was a strong and tireless leader in the struggle for equality and human rights for all people. As the only woman serving at the highest level of the civil rights movement, Dr. Height helped shape every major achievement along the way.

“For 40 years she led the National Council of Negro Women, advocating for African American women. Dr. Height continued the fight for the rest of her life to ensure that our nation was a place where everyone, regardless of gender, race or background could achieve the American dream. We should all rededicate ourselves to building on the legacy she left behind.”

Wait. Maybe they issued something but they just didn't send it to me. Le me google the RNC, republicans, and Dorothy Height.........nope, nothing. It figures. I guess she didn't have "Mass Appeal" after all.

Post a Comment

0 Comments