Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

My lipstick/lip gloss ban.

makeup ban, no buy makeup, lipstick ban, no buy lipstick

It's the same thing over and over again. I'm going on a makeup ban for a month, every blogger proclaims.


Next thing you know, you find yourself with an Ulta bag full of lipsticks, highlighters, and nail polish. Or you press your email app to find that ColourPop order confirmation.

I know, I have been there. And I bet you have broke your makeup ban. You promised yourself one month to see how it goes. Then the Naked Heat palette broke the Internet. You know you can't...but there it is, added to your cart.

Instead of swearing off buying makeup altogether, have you ever thought of just taking cutting off a specific product? That way, it makes the temptation easier.

For me, that would be a temporary ban on lipsticks and lipsticks. I don't even dare to count how many lipsticks I have, and my purse is filled with them. And then, I have more in my makeup organizers, loosely in some pockets, and in the bathroom. I bet there's a few I haven't tried yet (especially from the subscription boxes). Yikes!!

By banning lipsticks and lip glosses, it would force me to actually use the ones I already have, mix different shades to get the perfect nude one I want, and finally use up some of my MAC ones so that I can get a free new lipstick. Lip gloss is included in this ban because I tend to go for the super pigmented glosses that are almost opaque as a lipstick. Lip balms aren't included in the ban (I say this because I love my Glossier balm dotcom and I need to buy more for my bed, purse, and car because they have brought hope for my dehydrated lips).

The lipstick/lip gloss ban means that I am not swearing off from buying other makeup products, such as eyeshadow, masacara (I actually need to get the new L'Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise), highlighters, etc. But the ban will probably make it easier to not be so tempted to buy the latest releases.

Every little penny counts. I find myself walking down the Sephora aisles, testing and swatching lipsticks. I can see myself wearing these, I think to myself. Next thing, I'm at the cashier, handing over my card. Only once in a while, I promise to Cecilio. With bills, groceries and paying a portion of rent looming at the back of my head. That once in a while turns into once a week. Or more if you also shop online. I buy more lipsticks than any other beauty product, and most of my blog reviews consist of lipstick, so that little penny adds up!

It's like trying to go on a diet. You say goodbye to sweets, junk food, soda, and everything naughty, but you end up actually being more tempted by them. And then you're binging on the family-sized bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos (my favorite snack). But when you see your diet/health journey as a lifestyle change, and you slowly cut down on a specific set of foods that you know aren't good for you, you start to feel good physically and mentally, and it makes the dieting process easier.

I know that the less I buy lipstick, the more I'll be able to resist temptation to buy other makeup products. And it'll bring me closer to my long-term goals of paying off bills, traveling with Cecilio, and buying a home together.

Now that doesn't mean that I am never ever going to buy lipstick. In fact, I even ordered 2 Kylie lip kits a few weeks ago. But starting this month, I will have be temporarily banning myself from buying them and seeing how it goes. It also means that I will be wiser about how I spend my money on the little pleasures, and when I should (such as taking advantage of a sale or the Ulta 5x points events). That way, splurging will feel much sweeter and not as taken for granted.

I challenge you to think about what beauty product you spend the most money on. Then try to see if you can stop yourself from buying said product. I'm not saying to splurge on eyeshadow if you are doing a blush ban, but you have some leeway in terms of buying other products. But later on, it makes not spending much more painless.

Post a Comment

0 Comments