Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Oh, Sure, I Hear What You’re Saying, But…

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Virtual Friday, a day when us 80% workers stand up, confused, enthused, and bemused and wonder what the hell happened to working full time.

Can ya dig it?

O Mighty iPod, Transmitter of Tunes, Partner in Revelry, what’s the haps?

Many Shades of Black by the Raconteurs
Conventional Wisdom by Built to Spill
Sea Lion Woman by Feist
I Want Some More by Dan Auerbach
Pigs in Zen by Jane’s Addiction
I Never Said I Was Deep by Jarvis Cocker
Way Down in the Hole by Tom Waits

Hmmm. Well, there are a lot of bands here with connections to other bands: Raconteurs/White Stripes, Dan Auerbach/The Black Keys, Jarvis Cocker/Pulp…

And are we not all connected, on some level?

I'm Very Deep today.

Years and years ago, when one wore thongs on one’s feet and a hoe was something you found in the garden, Minnesota was a rather homogenic sort of place.

As the old joke goes, we had two kinds of music: Country and Western; or, as is still the case in some areas, was a land where salt and pepper are considered spices.

When I was a child, we weren’t that far from the days when getting an orange in your stocking for Christmas was a delight rather than some sort of joke played on you by a much older relative. Chili powder was almost embarrassingly exciting, Dad brought home a coconut we opened in the driveway with a hammer, and ravioli was a foreign word that may or may not have had something to do with that 30-foot telephone cord you stretched from the kitchen wall to the basement for a little alone time with your “boyfriend”.

We were simple folk.

And now, just about every day, there is a new word, a new meaning for a word. The TV spews slang in its attempt to make you feel that it’s current. Its commercials create non-words to sell products (my son once “febreezed” a room). A continual influx of immigrants ensures that there are new, real words added to daily use, well, daily.

Si, you say, pero…

And I say, “Pero what?”

And then you say, I’m not sure we need any more words!

And then I say, in the words of My Father the Smart Ass, what are you, some sort of Communist?!

And then you say, hey! I can get this kind of abuse anywhere! I’m outta here!

The language is changing daily. Googling? Snarky? In 20 years I won’t know what anyone is saying.

The way things are going, it might be a relief.

I’m so stoked I’m LOLing.

Post a Comment

0 Comments